Religion and Empire Building
Leo Strauss the Father of Neo-Conservatism
Strauss upheld the necessity for a national religion not because he favored religious practices, but because religion in his view is necessary in order to control the population.
Shadia Drury’s –Leo Strauss and the American Right
1. Strauss believed that a leader had to perpetually deceive the citizens he ruled.
2. Those who lead must understand there is no morality, there is only the right of the superior to rule the inferior.
4. “Secular society…is the worst possible thing,” because it leads to individualism, liberalism, and relativism, all of which encourage dissent and rebellion. As Drury sums it up: “You want a crowd that you can manipulate like putty.”
5. “Strauss thinks that a political order can be stable only if it is united by an external threat; and following Machiavelli, he maintains that if no external threat exists, then one has to be manufactured.”
6. “In Strauss’s view, the trouble with liberal society is that it dispenses with noble lies and pious frauds. It tries to found society on secular rational foundations.”
"Three quarters of the American population literally believe in religious miracles. The numbers who believe in the devil, in resurrection, in God doing this and that – it’s astonishing. These numbers aren’t duplicated anywhere else in the industrial world. You’d have to maybe go to mosques in Iran or do apoll among old ladies in Sicily to get numbers like this. Yet this is the American population"
"For those who stubbornly seek freedom, there can be no more urgent task than to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination. These are easy to perceive in the totalitarian societies, much less so in the system of ‘brainwashing under freedom’ to which we are subjected and which all too often we serve as willing or unwitting instruments."
"What is tolerance? – it is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other’s folly"
"As long as people believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities."